[Mailman-Users] No documentation for ver 2.1-8?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 4 14:41:02 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 02:38, Mark Champion wrote:
> I just installed RH9.0 with mailman v 2.1-8.  I was surprised to see there is zero documentation.
> rpm -qdf /var/mailman/bin/newlist returns nothing!
>
> I have v 2.0.13 on my RH7.2 system which has a complete directory of documentation in /usr/share/doc/mailman-2.0.13, but there is nothing similar for v 2.1-8.
>
> And, I'm having lots of trouble setting it up.  I think I have it setup and working, but no messages get sent out - not even to the mail-list administrator.  Can somebody point me to any documentation?
>
> Mark

As has been mentioned, the guy who packaged this RPM must have been on a
mental vacation... But if you want to get the RH9 version up and
running, you need to do the following:

Set up the mailman service to run:
 chkconfig --list mailman
  mailman         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
 chkconfig --level 345 mailman on
 # this will turn the mailman daemon on automatically when
 # the server is booted.

Put the following in your /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file:
 MAILMAN_USER = 'mailman'
 MAILMAN_GROUP = 'mailman'

Also you will need to put in your hosts real domain name:
 #DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'porky.devel.redhat.com'
 #DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'porky.devel.redhat.com'
 DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'list.anncons.org'
 DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'list.anncons.org'
 DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
                                                                                Run /var/mailman/bin/check_perms -f