[Mailman-Users] Re: Footer ?

Ben Gertzfield che at debian.org
Fri Aug 29 01:44:07 CEST 2003

Kevin McCann wrote:

>Thanks, Ben. I had initially been thinking this was strictly an Outlook
>problem, too. But I became skeptical as I realised that there are still two
>big questions:
>1) Why do these same Outlook clients not have problems receiving
>attachment-less messages with footers from other MLMs such as Lyris? (I run
>hundreds of lists on Lyris and a handful on Mailman and I only have problems
>with Mailman).

I'll go out on a limb and guess that Lyris doesn't have Mailman's level
of internationalization support.  If you turn a blind eye to the fact
that there are messages with character sets other than us-ascii out
there, you  can do all sorts of horrible things to messages by blindly
adding on random text to the end of messages.

As a test, though, is there any way you could forward to us messages
sent through Lyris that are:

1) Content-Type: text/html
2) Content-Type: multipart/* with text/html and text/plain parts
3) Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 or some other non-ISO-8859-1
character set

that have footers attached to the mails?  I'd love to see what tactics
they take in each of these cases.

>2) Similarly, why do other Mailman installations send the mail to these same
>mail clients without problems?

It's probably going to depend on the configuration of the client that is
sending the mail to Mailman in the first place.  If the client sends out
text/plain mail, Mailman can attach the footer with no problem.  But if
it's text/html, Mailman has to attach the footer separately; there's
just no other way to do it.

I'm not sure what would happen with a multipart mail if Mailman directly
added the footer underneath the final body part.  I assume if the
charsets matched, it might show  up, but I'm not 100% certain.