[Mailman-Users] qrunner fails to start

Erick Mechler emechler+mailman at techometer.net
Thu Dec 4 10:17:49 CET 2003

(Following up with a self-post just for archival purposes)

:: I'm getting this error when I try to start the mailman qrunner daemon after
:: upgrading to 2.1.3 from 2.0.13.  Actually, I get this 10x, each one causing
:: the qrunner process to die and spawn anew:

::   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Switchboard.py", line 264, in _ext_read
::     dict = marshal.load(fp)
:: EOFError: EOF read where object expected

If you get a marshal.load error, chances are it's a problem loading one of
the Marshal .db files somewhere underneath your Mailman $PREFIX.  In some
other posts, I've seen problems with the list config.db files, and the list
request.db files getting corrupted.  However, my specific problem was with
a damaged queue file in $PREFIX/qfiles/in/.

If you get this error, run the marshal.load() routine on each of your .db
files to see which one is causing the problem.  I used a modified version
of the code originally written by Cillian Sharkey in this post:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2001-December/010269.html

Cheers - Erick