[Mailman-Users] feature request: rules on new mailing list names?

James Ralston qralston+ml.mailman-users at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 9 07:08:29 CET 2003

On 2003-12-08 at 22:14:26-0500 Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Modify the file ~mailman/Mailman/Utils.py
> def list_exists(listname)

Thanks for the tip.

Making list_exists() lie in order to prevent the creation of
undesirable lists seems like a kluge, though.  Wouldn't it be better
to have a function, like acceptable_list_name(), and then ensure that
the appropriate Mailman functions call it as well as list_exists()?
The acceptable_list_name() function could read variables out of
mm_cfg.py to control its operation; hacking on Utils.py wouldn't be
necessary at all.

> Alternately, as the code points out, you could simply create a
> directory under ~mailman/lists/ and then "touch config.db" in that
> directory:
>   mkdir ~mailman/lists/postmaster
>   touch ~mailman/lists/postmaster/config.db

But that causes ~mailman/bin/genaliases to die, which is unacceptable,
because (at least for now) I'm using ~mailman/bin/genaliases to
automatically integrate Mailman's aliases into sendmail.

Thanks,
James