[Mailman-Users] Mailman on Panther: Linking /usr/local/mailman to /Users/mailman?

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Dec 12 15:54:16 CET 2003

I finally gave up mucking around in various config files, after I couldn't
find anything else to change, :-), and just did a ./mailmantcl to see what
would happen.

Initially, I was happy, because I got the confirmation messages for a test
list and for the list I wanted to create.

However, when I sent a test message to my list, it bounced with the following

><clips at bullae.ibuc.com>: Command died with status 2:
>    "/Users/mailman/mail/mailman post clips". Command output: Group mismatch
>    error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group
>    "nobody", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group
>    "mailman".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group
>    "nobody", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
>    `--with-mail-gid=mailman'.

So, for fun, I ran "./configure --with-mail-gid=mailman" and it popped up with

>checking permissions on /usr/local/mailman... configure: error:
>***** Installation directory /usr/local/mailman is not configured properly!
>***** Directory doesn't exist: /usr/local/mailman

Which, as we've noted here before, doesn't exist. Everything is stuck in
/Users/mailman where, apparently, it's supposed to be in OS X, and so,
seeing the above error message, it dawned on me that I could just do an
ugly hack and symbolically link /usr/local/mailman to /Users/mailman, and
be done with it.

Anyone think this is a bad idea? If so, do you have a better one?

:-)

Thanks!

Cheers,
RAH

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA