[Mailman-Users] Assistance with umbrella lists

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 6 06:12:45 CET 2003

Umbrella lists are a great concept that have not yet been fully
implemented in Mailman.

There is an FAQ about Umbrella lists in Mailman that basically describes
what they can do and some of their limitations.
 - Users on more than one list inside the Umbrella will receive multiple
copies of an email sent to the Umbrella list.
 - If using a closed posting Umbrella list, you will have to use a
work-around to get folks from sublists the ability to post to the list.

One work-around is to use a Regular Expression to limit the posting to
the list.  This works well if everyone is in the same domain (and always
posts from that domain address).

The FAQ has a work-around script that works really well. I use it for a
similar situation.
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.005.htp

Good Luck