[Mailman-Users] Sendmail issues with mailman

Matthew Davis matthew.davis at dogpound.vnet.net
Sat Feb 15 04:53:00 CET 2003

* Gordon Dahlby (dahlbyg at wdm.k12.ia.us) wrote:
> The maillist is being treated as a send mail user and my Sendmail is
> rejecting it as the "user" is not known.

> 'test4-request at media01.wdm.k12.ia.us' on 2/12/2003 3:08 PM
>
> 550 5.1.1 <test4-request at media01.wdm.k12.ia.us>... User unknown

Make sure your sendmail aliases are setup correctly.  When you create a list
with the 'newlist' command, there will be printed to the screen a list of
aliases to be added to your sendmail aliases.

This is a section of my /etc/mailman.aliases

## test mailing list
test:              "|/home/mailman2/mail/mailman post test"
test-admin:        "|/home/mailman2/mail/mailman admin test"
test-bounces:      "|/home/mailman2/mail/mailman bounces test"
test-confirm:      "|/home/mailman2/mail/mailman confirm test"
test-join:         "|/home/mailman2/mail/mailman join test"
test-leave:        "|/home/mailman2/mail/mailman leave test"
test-owner:        "|/home/mailman2/mail/mailman owner test"
test-request:      "|/home/mailman2/mail/mailman request test"
test-subscribe:    "|/home/mailman2/mail/mailman subscribe test"
test-unsubscribe:  "|/home/mailman2/mail/mailman unsubscribe test"

So I add all mailman aliases to that file and I add
'O AliasFile=/etc/mailman.aliases' to my sendmail.cf or
'alias_maps = hash:/etc/mailman.aliases' for postfix.

But for postfix & mailman 2.1,
alias_maps = hash:/home/mailman2/data/aliases
would be smarter.  See README.POSTFIX

--
Matthew Davis
http://dogpound.vnet.net/

Q: All your responses must be oral, OK?   What school did you go to?  A: Oral.