[OT] [Mailman-Users] Challenge

Simon White simon at mtds.com
Tue Feb 18 17:45:55 CET 2003

18-Feb-03 at 10:35, Keith Mastin (kmastin at beechtree.ca) wrote :
> >17-Feb-03 at 17:39, Keith Mastin (kmastin at beechtree.ca) wrote :
> >> Because they're running XP, I can't suggest that they allow me to drop
> >> in a linux firewall because of the bugs in the XP tcp/ip stack, not
> >> unless they agree to back down to Win2k, which they can no longer
> >> purchase licences and support for.
> >
> >Why not? Are you telling me that a Linux firewall in front of a load of
> >XP machines is impossible, or breaks some licencing agreement, or
> >something?
>
> No, XP is a hog on a linux network. There's some hacks you can do to the
> registry, but it's still not as fast and clean as using, for instance,
> Win2kPro on the same network.
>
> The references to licences is that we couldn't find any Win2kPro licences,
> and were told that they were taken off the shelf by M$ a few months back.

Well the firewall doesn't care about internal traffic. You can block
ports 137 and 139 and mostly, Windows networking is taken care of.

Reply privately, perhaps, to continue the debate.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon at mtds.com. Folding at home no log script yet...]
Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and