[Mailman-Users] Passwords of members UPDATE

Steve Rifkin steve410 at cs.jhu.edu
Fri Jan 3 21:35:43 CET 2003

Just did another reinstall of 2.0.13.  Again, installed with no problems.
Check_perm ran fine... again

And, the list ownerships for the config.db file for my test list is:

-rw-rw----   1 mailman  mailman      3169 Jan 03 11:57 config.db

(owned and group-owned by mailman)

Then, I log into the list as the site admin, and change the lists's admin's
password.

When I do, the config.db file now has these attributes:

-rw-rw----   1 nobody   mailman      3169 Jan 03 14:35 config.db

Yes, nobody has replaced mailman as owner again

And the list admin gets an authentication error trying to log in to its list.

If, as site admin, I once again change the list admin's pwd (this time to a
longer password, so that hopefully, config.db would change size) and log out,
the config.db file remains the same size with the updated timestamp.

-rw-rw----   1 nobody   mailman      3169 Jan 03 14:36 config.db

Still owned by nobody!  (yet, still group-owned by mailman)

And still not allowing list admin's to log in... onl log in... only site admin and users can log in.  (and this happens to all of
our lists).

Running check_perms again (now that "nobody" is the owner and mailman is the
group owner of the config.db files), I still receive "No problems found"

Since the only signs of error are 1) the "Authentication failed" error for the
list admins, and 2) config.db doesn't looks as if it is updated [comparing the
size of the of current and previous config.db files]...
...is there any way to do a trace of what is happening?  Can python be used for
this?

It's almost as if the list admin password being changed by the site admin never
really updates the config.db file.

Oh, I even tried the setup using the mailman group consisting of mailman and
nobody.

Steve Rifkin
steve410 at cs.jhu.edu