[Mailman-Users] mm2.1 cookie problem?

Bryan Fullerton bryanf at samurai.com
Tue Jan 7 01:22:03 CET 2003

On Monday, January 6, 2003, at 07:05 PM, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> I've only ever seen this with lists on python.org that we upgraded
> from MM2.0 according to the instructions in the UPGRADING file (see
> UPGRADING INDIVIDUAL LISTS).  I've never seen this for brand new MM2.1
> lists.  I've suspect it's some wacky interaction with Apache so I've
> tended to ignore it, so I'd like to know if the lists you're having
> problems with are using these rewrite rules.

Yup, I have no doubt that it's because I'm mixing 2.0 and 2.1. And yup,
I've been upgrading individual lists as per the UPGRADING instructions.
Here's the rewrite rule I used for the 2.1 list:

         RewriteRule ^/mailman/(.*)/(trawler-world-list-help.*) \
                 /home/mailman-2.1/cgi-bin/$1/$2 \
                 [T=application/x-httpd-cgi]

Once the bulk of my customers are switched, I'll ditch the rewrites and
nuke 2.0, but I want to make sure they're comfortable with 2.1 first,
and also keep their lists working during the transition!

It's only been a problem so far with this one set of lists, where the
list names are all very similar (and also rather long). And the 2.0
lists are fine, it's only been affecting the one I moved to 2.1. (I did
move about a dozen other lists, which are all working perfectly, but
they have no sibling lists with similar names still in 2.0)

> Indeed since Mailman's cookies are session cookies, restarting your
> browser should "take care" of the problem.  I've also had success
> doing a Logout (with a couple of authentications :/ ) followed by
> using Mozilla's cookie manager to manually delete the cookies.  Doing
> just one or the other never seemed to do the trick.

Did something change with the cookie handling between 2.0 and 2.1?
(besides "yes, everything" :). I note that the list/login delimiter in
the cookie name is now + instead of : - is that somehow throwing off
the new parser? I briefly looked at SecurityManager.py and
Cgi/admin.py, but I haven't yet been able to figure out if the cookie
parsing stuff is entirely Mailman code, or if it's using cookie stuff
from Python too (though my Python version is the same for both - hrm).

Originally I thought perhaps the list-name in the cookie handling code
was being truncated, so the cookie for  "trawler-world-list-help" was
being clobbered by the one for "trawler-world-list", but I haven't
noticed any length limitations in the code.

I suspect that my list-owner using IE on WinME didn't really need to
reboot - I'll get him to try deleting the cookie manually for his 2.0
list and see if that helps.

Bryan