[Mailman-Users] archive and .htaccess

Justin Georgeson jgeorgeson at unboundtech.com
Thu Jan 30 01:30:18 CET 2003

Richard Barrett wrote:
> At 18:21 29/01/2003, Simon White wrote:
>
>> 29-Jan-03 at 12:11, Justin Georgeson (jgeorgeson at unboundtech.com) wrote :
>> > Aha! I just noticed that the archive link from

>> > is
>> >
>> > http://<server>/pipermail/<list>/
>> >
>> > This may seem odd, and I'd rather not go into detail, but
>> > http://<server> and https://<server> are different VirtualHost
>> > configurations in my Apache installation. If I type in the same archive
>> > URL with a https it works. I saw a post in the archives of this list
>> > (mailman-users) earlier this month which seemed to be a similar
>> > situation: the URL's are not consistent. Any idea how I correct this?
>> > The DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN variable in /var/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py is
>> > set correctly (https://%s/mailman/).
>

> The link to a list on the page generated by
> £prefix/Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py is determined by each list's
> web_page_url attribute. The value of this attribute is normally set when
> the list is created and is based to DEFAULT_URL or DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN
> combined with DEFAULT_URL_HOST or DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN values at that
> time. Another list attribute set at the same time is it's host_name
> attribute which  is set to DEFAULT_HOST_NAME (or DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST if
> DEFAULT_HOST_NAME  is not defined). This is used in setting the link to
> the archives on the page returned by the /listinfo/<list> URI.

Every other link works so far. Only the archive link is wrong.

I just set DEFAULT_URL and DEFAULT_HOST_NAME in
$prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py. DEFAULT_HOST_NAME has the same value as
DEFAULT_URL_HOST. DEFAULT_URL has the value of DEFAULT_HOST_NAME with
https:// in front of it (can I use %s there instead, like
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN?). That didn't help.

> If you want to change these list attributes for a given list then
> £prefix/bin/withlist is your friend. The standard MM 2.1 distribution

I want to have the defaults set such that I don't have to run
withlist/fix_url every time I create a list. I have one host that the
lists are serverd off of, and I want all the links to be https instead
of http. (Everything in the MailMan web interface should be viewed from
https://myserver.unboundtech.com/...)

> has the $prefix/bin/fix_url.py script wto be used in conjunction with
> £prefix/bin/withlist to reset a list's web_page_url and host_name. The
> values to which web_page_url and host_name are set by fix_url.py depend
> on the then current default MM parameters set in
> $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py and $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py and the
> options you put on the command line when running fix_url. See the code

Given that setting those two didn't fix my existing test list, I tried
creating a second test list. I still have the same problem. Every link
except the Archive link works.

Should I interpret this as a bug, or am I still doing something wrong. I
don't think I should have to manually patch every list I create just
because I'm using an https server for the web interface.

> in fix_url.py for deatils; python is quite easy to read.

Indeed it is, once you get past the lack of statement delimiters and the
fact that indentation level determintes scope. :)

--
Justin Georgeson
UnBound Technologies, Inc.

5295 Hollister Road
Houston, TX 77040
Real Applications using Real Wireless Intelligence(tm)