[Mailman-Users] Redirect AOL subscribers

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Wed Jul 2 19:44:50 CEST 2003

Ed Leafe wrote:
>         I'm currently running a few lists with Mailman, and it's been
> working
>great. One problem has popped up, though: AOL now blocks *all* email
>coming from servers with RoadRunner IP addresses. Their rationale is
>that it is necessary to block the inflow of spam.

      This is not accurate, at least not for all RR IPs.  I use RoadRunner
for high speed connection, and have an AOL dial up I use while
traveling.  I just sent mail from the RR account to the AOL account and it
went right through with the RR IP number.

      Doing some digging I found that AOL now has extensive spam
filtering.  From the main mail box page click the "Mail Options" menu
button at the top, then select "Block Unwanted Mail".  You can then accept
all mail, reject all mail, or customize.  If you choose to customize you
can white and black list anything you want.
      Of course the average AOL user doesn't have a clue, doesn't want a
clue, and would not know a clue if it crawled up their leg and bit them, so
getting them to fix it may be a bit of a challenge.  Maybe you can get one
of the more net savvy AOL users write a how to for you.

<>< Paul, who still find AOHell the best way to get on-line from
Nowhereville or Podunk USA.