[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.1 -> 2.1.2

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 11:47:04 CEST 2003

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 07:52 AM, CARTER Anthony wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have modified quite a bit of mailman, especially templates and added
> CSS support within HTML pages. I was wondering if I upgraded from
> mailman 2.1.1 to 2.1.2, what actually changes, and will my site get
> messed up, even just a little.

In general upgrading from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2 should be pain free. If you
have patched your 2.1.1 installation then you need to check if there
are revised version of the patches for 2.1.2 and use them instead.

You will have problems if you have edited stuff in the wrong places.

For instance, if you have edited $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py instead of
putting site-specific changes in $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py you will
find those changes are lost. You can recover this situation by moving
your changes into mm_cfg.py before doing the upgrade.

On the templates front, if you have been editing template files in
$prefix/templates/<language> directories, instead of putting your
revised versions in $prefix/templates/site/<language> directories, you
will have problems.  The files under $prefix/templates are replaced
during the upgrade. You can recover this situation by moving your
revised files under $prefix/templates/site  before doing the upgrade.