[Mailman-Users] Re: Where are the archives?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 00:20:55 CEST 2003

At 21:53 02/06/2003, schuetzen wrote:
>On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:16:52 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >Dan Phillips wrote:
> >>  From the Mail-Archive home page:

>idle curiosity, but how large is the archive holding for (I assume) this list?
>iow, are you sure that the restore is still working if it takes this long
>and it
>still is not finished?
>
>the point is, should we as Mailman list owners not consider using an offsite
>storage like eScribe to store the archives if they are going to take this long
>to restore?  aamof, how long does a full backup take? or are you just doing
>incrementals and have never done a full backup?

This IS an "off-site" archive and http://www.mail-archive.com/ returns the
following content:

<quote>
June 2, 2003

Mail-Archive is experiencing technical problems, all archives are
temporarily offline and are being actively restored from backup. Because of
the very large volume of data, this process takes a long time - multiple
days so far, and possible a few more are required. Thank you for your
patience.

Jeff Breidenbach
jeff at jab.org
</quote>

This is not a Mailman issue per se. The standard archive is still available
at http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/ That just does not have
a built in search faciltity.

>not trying to kick anyone here, just trying to understand what I can
>expect with
>my own lists?  and so far, this software is definitely beta at best.

In that case submit some patches or quit bitching. There are already too
many spectators and too few players.

I am kicking. I have been publishing and maintaining patches to integrate
htdig search with MM since MM 2.0.6 and none of the MM support lists use
the facility. When I asked thru this list how many people used the patches
I got 3 replies; so obviously not many sites need searchable Mailman archives.

All users please note that MM 2.1.3 is the last version of MM for which I
shall be publishing revisions of the #444884 patch. I will make one last
effort to publish a generic version of the htdig integration patch which
provides a framework for integrating other search engiones. Then I give up.
Life is too short to continue pushing this particular rope uphill.