[Mailman-Users] Wishlist and maybe problem solution

Gerfried Fuchs mailman at chevron9.sil.at
Wed Jun 4 09:17:18 CEST 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 05:05:44PM +0100, Richard Barrett wrote:
> At 16:25 03/06/2003, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >|From: [listname-bounce at hostname.domain] on behalf of [real.sender at domain]
>
> I think you will also find some versions of MS Outlook display this
> conflation of several headers in the "From" field of their GUI (see
> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq02.003.htp).

 Yes, that's exactly what it's about, right.

> The purpose of this behaviour is presumably to alert the end user to
> the possibility of something "nefarious" because of the (entirely
> valid) discrepancy between different headers on a message.

 Between the envelope-from (Sender-Header) and the From: header.

> This behaviour cannot be controlled by Mailman because it is the
> programmed into the MUA's GUI code.

 Of course it can, because the Sender-Header must not be the -bounces
address like I said, it can be the usual mailing-list address instead.
The »Return-Path« header is the only one that must be set to the
-bounces address, to not loose the bounce-handling of mailman.

 Thanks for your input, though. I guess I'll have to dig myself.
Alfie