[Mailman-Users] Passwords

Norbert Bollow nb at cisto.com
Thu Jun 5 14:30:48 CEST 2003

Derek Simkowiak <dereks at realloc.net> wrote:

> I think mailing list passwords are The Worst Thing Ever.

Here is what I'd like to see:

Everyone who uses Mailman's web-based interface (at a particular
virtual host) would get a choice of two authentication methods:

 * authentication via password (similar to what we have today with the
   difference that for each email address there would be only one
   password, not multiple passwords (like there are today for people
   who are subscribed to multiple lists).

 * authentication via cookies:  Put a "passcode" into a never-expiring
   cookie and send a confirmation email to the user with an URL to
   visit.  People who access Mailman from multiple PCs need to go
   through this authentication procedure multiple times.

If someone has moderator or list-owner privileges, I'd like the chosen
authentication method to also work for that.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
Free Software Business Strategy Guide   --->  http://FreeStrategy.info