[Mailman-Users] Newbie issues

Troy Davis Troy at glyss.com
Mon Jun 16 18:37:13 CEST 2003

Hello,

I've just installed mailman (2.1-8 rpm) on a Red Hat 9 system I'm
using at work. Back a few months ago when this machine was running
Red Hat 8, I tried to set up this system with mailman, and it
appeared to be working. I had a learning curve to deal with, but it
was functional.

But now that I've upgraded the system, mailman won't start up. Here's
what I get:

---
[root at web mailman]# rpm -qa | grep mailman
mailman-2.1-8
[root at web mailman]# rpm -qa | grep python
rpm404-python-4.0.4-8x.27
python-2.2.2-26
python-optik-1.4-2
rpm-python-4.2-0.69
gnome-python2-canvas-1.99.14-5
gnome-python2-1.99.14-5
gnome-python2-gtkhtml2-1.99.14-5
gnome-python2-bonobo-1.99.14-5
libxml2-python-2.5.4-1
mod_python-3.0.1-3
python-devel-2.2.2-26
[root at web mailman]# /etc/init.d/mailman start
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 524, in ?
     main()
   File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 319, in main
     check_privs()
   File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 274, in check_privs
     gid = grp.getgrnam(mm_cfg.MAILMAN_GROUP)[2]
KeyError: getgrnam(): name not found
---

My first thought was that the user and group wasn't created, but
they're in there. I also thought that maybe my install of python had
issues, so I ran testall.py and saw no problems there.

I'm not sure what kind of permissions layout the directories are
supposed to have, but I've already tried to --force the rpm so that
it writes over the existing files. But my old list files were still
in the lists directory, so maybe that's an issue? I've deleted those
files (never finished that attempt anyway), but I still get the same
error above.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot this further?

Thank You,
Troy