[Mailman-Users] Excessive cpu usage

Arnar Birgisson ArnarB at oddi.is
Wed May 28 16:33:05 CEST 2003

Hi there..

I verified this.. the MTA seems to be configured correctly. Since
switching to Exim recently, mailman lists have worked as they should.

As I mentioned earlier, some files are constantly being created in the
out queue directory. I wasn't right when I said earlier that there was
no traffic, apparently there is one message in the out queue, according
to the contents of those files.

What makes me unable to diagnose the problem however is that nothing
shows up in neither the mailman log files nor exim's log files.

Arnar

>>> Raquel Rice <raquel at thericehouse.net> 28.5.2003 14:16:00 >>>
On Wed, 28 May 2003 09:46:01 -0400
"Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <guallar at easternrad.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 May 2003 09:24 am, Arnar Birgisson wrote:
> > Hello
>
> Hi
>
> > I'm running mailman 2.1 on a linux machine. My problem is that
> > the mailman qrunner daemon constantly consumes 65-95% of cpu
> > time. Nothing shows up in the logs while this goes on. Any ideas
> > of how to locate the fault?
>
> The problem might be the message size. Mailman parses all the
> messages with python,who is a little unefficient.
>
> For example, on my mailman machine, messages of size=300 KB
> required 300 MB of RAM for processing... and used up (+90%) the
> CPU (P-III-Xeon-550).
>
> In my case, the solution was to reduce the message size,
>
> > Arnar
>

> Josep

The FAQ that is included in the Mailman download indicates that it
could also be a problem with your MTA.  Make certain that your MTA
isn't set up to do DNS lookups on each address.

--
Raquel
The life of the individual only has meaning insofar as it aids in