[Mailman-Users] Umbrella lists && approvals

Steve Huston huston at astro.princeton.edu
Tue Nov 4 15:13:16 CET 2003

I have a mild inconvenience here, and was wondering if there's a simple
way around it.

For our department, I have setup lists for each class of users
(undergraduates, grad students, faculty, etc), and an umbrella list to
cover all the users.  There are some mails that are sent out to the all
users list by 3rd parties (ie, a calendar of upcoming talks in
different departments and such), and usually those mails are sent out
with each recipient in the BCC field so we never see any recipients;
sometimes, however, the person sends them out with each user in the To:
field, and the mails get held because of too many recipients.

Now, this wouldn't be too big of a deal, except that approving the mail
through the web interface on the umbrella list causes 7 mails to come
to me and the other list admin, each for the same message but in a
different list which is subscribed to the all users list.  So I have to
approve the same mail 8 times.

The web interface doesn't seem to have any decent way around this, but
I was wondering if there's some trick I can do?  Put the "Approved"
header in the mail twice, so it's removed the first time and used the
second time for the sub lists?  Maybe adding a check box to the admin
database pages that says "Approve this mail for sub-lists" or
something, which might require some extra hacking so that the Approved:
header isn't accidentally sent out to a user.

Yes, I could be a BOFH and bounce the mails right back to the sender,
but I'd rather not be that harsh.  The sender is aware of the issue,
but everybody makes mistakes now and then :>

--
Steve Huston - Unix Systems Admin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
  Princeton University  |     ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285