[Mailman-Users] Custom Headers?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 2 16:12:29 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 03:09, David Cake wrote:
> 	I'd like to just add a completely new custom header (in this
> case, an X-Comment) to a mailing list. Is there any easy way to do
> this with mailman? If not, does anyone have suggestions for how to do
> this using procmail, sendmail configuration, or similar?
> 	Cheers
> 		David
>

> PS apologies for posting the same question to this list and the LO
> list, I just realised it would be more appropriate here.

This is actually pretty trivial to do. You can even get by without
learning Python (well, you'll need to know just a smidgen - but there
are plenty of examples in Mailman's code).

<This is also discussed quite thoroughly in the archives!>

from ~mailman/Mailman do a grep looking for one of the current headers:
  grep X-List */*

This will show you every file that handles the X-List headers. You
probably just want to edit ~mailman/Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py and
add your own.  You might want to put in a check that only adds the
header to a specific list.

Remember to make a backup copy of any files before you edit them! Good
Luck.

Jon Carnes