[Mailman-Users] filtering by subject or other headers?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sat Oct 4 17:56:06 CEST 2003

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 11:50:18AM -0400, Erez Zadok wrote:
> Is there a way I can setup mail filters by subject or other headers (not
> just by from/recipient)?  Spammers often send spam faked as having been sent
> by my lists.  Then I get all sorts of bounces from the actual recipients
> such as "SpamAssassin Identified this message as spam."
>
> I'd like to setup a filter rule that says: if the subject line matches a
> certain string, discard this email and never tell me about it.  However, I
> don't this kind of rule to affect the way other moderation or filter rules
> work.  That is, if I configure mailman to hold all messages from unknown
> senders, then those not matching the spam filter rule I just described,
> should be left in the hold queue.

I don't see anything that would stop you from processing the incoming
e-mails through procmail before they get to mailman.  Just change the
alias to point to valid user, process the e-mail via procmail and do
whatever you want with it, then bounce the result over to the actual
list processor if it passes your tests.  You could do your virus
scanning the same way (although I would think that a callout from the
MTA might be better).

I don't believe that what you're asking for should be a mailman
function.  Mailman should primarily be used to quickly get messages into
and out the lists - all per-message processing should be handled by
outside apps.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org