[Mailman-Users] filtering by subject or other headers?

Erez Zadok ezk at cs.sunysb.edu
Sat Oct 4 21:30:02 CEST 2003

In message <20031004190235.GS18903 at psilocybe.teonanacatl.org>, Todd writes:

> Erez Zadok wrote:
> > I'd like to setup a filter rule that says: if the subject line
> > matches a certain string, discard this email and never tell me about
> > it.  However, I don't this kind of rule to affect the way other
> > moderation or filter rules work.  That is, if I configure mailman to
> > hold all messages from unknown senders, then those not matching the
> > spam filter rule I just described, should be left in the hold queue.
>
> Sounds like you're describing the bounce_matching_headers option, from
> Privacy Options -> Spam Filters, except that you want the default
> action to be discard instead of hold.  I don't believe this is
> possible at the moment, but it seems like it would be a simple thing
> to add.  You could either add another option to the Spam Filters page,
> perhaps discard_matching_headers, or just an option that toggled
> whether posts matching bounce_matching_headers were held or discarded.
>
> That would be handy to have a on a list by list basis, but there is a
> site-wide configuration option, KNOWN_SPAMMERS, that you can set in
> mm_cfg.py which looks to do exactly what you want.  You might want to
> give that a try.  One of the comments in the SpamDetect.py file where
> this spam filtering is done says "This needs to be made more
> configurable and robust."  So it's on the list of things that will
> happen when someone makes time to code it in.
>
> - --
> Todd        OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp

Todd,

Yes!  That's exactly it.  Right now all I can do is "hold" mails that match
certain headers.  I like that option for certain cases, but I'd like another
(independent) option to completely discard mails that match certain headers.
And while we're at it, why only hold or discard?  Why not offer the same
sets of options available in other places: hold, discard, forward to
someone, etc.

I don't understand something in your mail, however.  You say "you could
either add..." and such, implying that _I_ could do it myself?  Do you mean
that there is a facility for this already in mailman?  Or did you mean that
I could always hack the source and add the feature I wanted?  If you meant
the latter, then I'd prefer if someone more experienced in Python and
Mailman's code do it (what'll take me many hours, Barry can probably do in
his sleep, with _both_ hands tied behind his back. :-)

Erez.