[Mailman-Users] Mailman vs Sympa

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 9 13:32:30 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 05:08, Gary C. New wrote:
> I've been looking into implementing a mailing list package and I think
> I've narrowed them down to mailman or sympa.
>
> I have a few questions regarding mailman and hope to find some answers here.
>
> 1.  What mail archiving software is recommend for use with mailman and
> how difficult would it be to drop into a template?

Mhonarc works fine with Mailman and is fairly easy to template.  Mailman
comes with a simple archiver called Pipermail, but this is only adequate
for text-based archives.

> 2.  What is the recommended search tool to use with mailman, other than
> htdig?

HTdig is it! Works fine and thanks to Richard, is tightly integrated
with Mailman and Pipermail.

Other search engines will work fine with Mailman.  Most search engines
are associated with the Archiver though, so you might want to look at
the FAQ's for Mhonarc.  You will find that HTdig is a heavy contender
there as well.

> I would prefer using mailman, but sympa's integrated mail archiving and
> search functions are a great incentive (I do like sf's implementation of
> mailman and might consider it if its source was available to the community).

Well, it's source is right out there for all to look at.  It's
OpenSource after all.

> Thank you for your assistance.
>
> Respectfully,
>

> Gary

Good Luck!  I've been keeping an eye on Sympa myself, but I've always
gone with Mailman.  Partly because I know it inside out, but also
because the code is so well written and easy to modify.

Jon Carnes