[Mailman-Users] Mailman CGI not working

Foo, Randy randy.foo at hp.com
Mon Oct 27 23:51:29 CET 2003

Thanks for your help,

However, I've tried changing the group that apache runs httpd under to
www, and that didn't work. For some unknown reason, I cannot get httpd
to run as any id other than apache. The apache conf file says to run
httpd as root, and then it will change over, but I haven't seen that.  I
ran configure again using --with-cgi-id=nobody, and then make install
again and it took this time.  But the CGI still does not run.     I set
the User to nobody, and Group to 99 in the apache httpd.conf file.

Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Randy Foo
Unix System Administrator/FW support
The Kemtah Group at Hewlett Packard
Telnet 212-6186

Here's the http.conf setup:

 # If you wish httpd to run as a different user or group, you must run
# httpd as root initially and it will switch.
#
# User/Group: The name (or #number) of the user/group to run httpd as.
#  . On SCO (ODT 3) use "User nouser" and "Group nogroup".
#  . On HPUX you may not be able to use shared memory as nobody, and the
#    suggested workaround is to create a user www and use that user.
#  NOTE that some kernels refuse to setgid(Group) or semctl(IPC_SET)
#  when the value of (unsigned)Group is above 60000;
#  don't use Group #-1 on these systems!
#
User nobody
Group #99
#Group #-1
</IfModule>
</IfModule>

# ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
# ScriptAliases are essentially the same as Aliases, except that
# documents in the realname directory are treated as applications and
# run by the server when requested rather than as documents sent to the
client.
# The same rules about trailing "/" apply to ScriptAlias directives as
# Alias.
#
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/usr/local/apache2/cgi-bin/"

#CGI script enablement directive
#
ScriptAlias
/cgi/bin/ /usr/local/apache2/cgi/bin
/usr/local/apache2/cgi/bin
ScriptAlias
/mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin

# "/usr/local/apache2/cgi-bin" should be changed to whatever your
ScriptAliased
# CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
#
<Directory "/usr/local/apache2/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all