[Mailman-Users] wrong email address on "Welcome" page

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 19:21:13 CEST 2003

Darren

On Sunday, September 7, 2003, at 06:28  pm, Darren wrote:

> Richard,
>
> You have been very helpful in offering suggestions to fix my problem.
> Yet,
> I still can't seem to understand how to correct the situation where my
> email
> address is reported as being mailman at www.usmstudent.com (instead of
> mailman at usmstudent.com) on the page located at
> 2.1.2 on
> FreeBSD.  I have read and re-read your email and the notes in the
> Defaults.py file.  Could help me a little further?
>
> Here is an excerpt from my current mm_cfg.py file.
>
> # Site-specific settings
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'usmstudent.com'
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'http://www.usmstudent.com/mailman/'
> PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL  = '/pipermail'
> PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/mailman/private'
> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)

You should be saying _just_ this in your mm_cfg.py:

# Site-specific settings
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'usmstudent.com'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.usmstudent.com'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

followed by more add_virtualhost(URL_FQDN, EMAIL_FQDN) calls for any
other virtual hosts you want to support with the system.

Having restarted mailmanctl you should now run the bin/withlist script
fix_url.py from the command line to set the web_page_url and stuff for
each of your lists. Without this last step, whatever you do to
mm_cfg.py will not be propagated to any existing lists.

If you just run bin/fix_url.py from the command line it prints out its
usage for you.

You will probably want to run fix_url without any --urlhost option
unless you have multiple virtual hosts specified in mm_cfg.py

By the look of it you do not need to change the default
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL and if you do need to change it then model it on the
default defined in $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py, which is:

PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'

As you can see you have left some parts out.

If you check the NEWS file in the MM 2.1.2 source code distribution you
will find that the semantics of PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL configuration
variable was changed in MM 2.1.x and the PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL
configuration variable was removed from MM 2.1.x

Come back if you are still having a problem.

Richard