[Mailman-Users] new mailman site admin with bounce notification questions

Mark Bixby mark at bixby.org
Wed Sep 10 15:28:59 CEST 2003

Hi mailman-users,

I am a brand new Mailman 2.1.2 site administrator / list owner who has migrated
one old Majordomo mailing list and plans to create several additional lists.

One of my subscribers of my new Mailman list complained about missing a message
from Mailman.  I had no idea there was a problem until she complained.  I then
dug through my sendmail logs and saw that her remote MTA had transiently
returned a "Service unavailable" status.

I then went into Mailman and looked up the subscriber's info.  Mailman had
dutifully incremented her bounce count to 1.0.

But I had absolutely no notification of any problems until the subscriber
complained, and that lack of notification is a big problem for these particular
mailing lists which are private with a small number of subscribers but feature
highly time-sensitive content.

For these mailing lists I am willing to have the list owner receive copies of
all MAILER-DAEMON etc bounce messages.  Yet I cannot find any way in the
Mailman docs of accomplishing this (unless I have missed something).  If I
disable automatic bounce processing, the docs say the MAILER-DAEMON messages
are still discarded, which doesn't help me.

Alternatively I would be happy to have Mailman just send the *first*
MAILER-DAEMON bounce message for a subscriber to the list owner.

Is there any tweaking I can do to either the automatic bounce processing
parameters or my aliases file that will get Mailman to promptly tell me when a
user is having a bounce problem?  Yes, I could set the bounce score threshold
down to 0, but that's a little extreme since I don't really want the user's
subscription to be disabled at this point in order just to get a problem
notification about a bounce situation that would likely be merely transient for
my particular set of subscribers.

mark at bixby.org
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve expensive California electrons...