[Mailman-Users] Archive format

Rod Neep rkpn at british-genealogy.com
Mon Apr 12 17:28:03 CEST 2004

In message <006501c42045$24476ef0$e8f4ded1 at Tiger>, david at restory.net
writes
>Hi
>
>Great product. I'm just having two problems.  The messages in archives
>don't wrap, so a line of text runs way off the screen.  I've removed
>all content filtering commands, as well as disabling content filtering,
>but it still happens.  "Convert html to plaintext" is also disabled,
>but plaintext still appears.

Long line messages in the archives are due to the person who posted the
message not having line wrap set on their mail software.

>I'd also like to disable the function that strips attachements.  All
>the people on this particular list are trustworthy; it's a limited,
>secure list, and I want to preserve attachments for the archives.  Is
>that possible?

Yes... But it is incredibly *inadvisable*.

Scenario...

1. someone has the address of your trusted subscriber
    in their address book

2. That someone contracts a virus.

3. The virus posts copies of itself pretending to be
    "from" your trusted member.... and *to* the mailing
    list address.

Result... the virus gets posted to the list, as Mailman (rightly) sees
it as being from a list member.... even if it was not.

Scary!

Regards
Rod
--