[Mailman-Users] Announce Only

Thomas Hochstein ml at ancalagon.inka.de
Fri Apr 16 22:23:19 CEST 2004

Paul Reilly schrieb:

>> There is. General options, "emergency moderation of all list traffic".
>
> Yes, but that implies an emergency situation.
> Having a default closed list isn't an emergency situation.

There's more than one way to do it ...

If you want a default closed list, you may set all new members to be
moderated (1). If you already have a list and want it now moderated,
you can set all existing and all new members to moderated (2). And/or
you can use "emergency moderation" (3).

> Overall I think Mailman is fantastic. I have been using it for years, but
> recently, it seems that the number of admin options for list admins
> is increasingly complex, and even simple tasks like closing a list are
> not obvious.

Hm. It was not a problem for me when I started to use Mailman some
month ago ...

> I am deploying Mailman in a non-technical environment, and I can't expect
> my list admins to know about python regular expressions etc.

Then don't let them use python regular expressions. :)

>>> Also how do you turn off the "Create new List" via webpage ?
>> Why should one want to do it?
>
> Because in order for the MTA link up to work, I create my lists
> via the command line. If the feature doesn't work for me via the
> web, then I'd like the option of turning it off.

Sure. But it does not hurt, does it?

-thh