[Mailman-Users] HIPAA compliant?

Dr. Jones drjones at vii.com
Thu Apr 22 21:48:07 CEST 2004

Sean:

> A mailing list would not be HIPPA compliant. Then again it may be,
> but  it depends highly on the reasoning and use of the list.

Here's my high reasoning, why it would not. If I keep it a moderated
list, and the list members' names are not published to the list, i.e.,
on member on the list can't really find out the identity of any other
list member, then I would think the privacy issue is covered.

As for use of the list, my use of it would be to disseminate health
information to my patients. A side purpose would be to generate
discussion about healthcare, and hopefully encourage others on the list
to reply to and comment on the postings of some other members. I would
NOT be including individual member addresses on the list for public
distribution, just what people had written. If one user wanted to
contact another it would be solely at the discretion of the "another"
user....

With this clarification, would it seem more 'compliant'? I read about
MD's conducting group classes to instruct several patients at one time.
I don't read anywhere about each patient being blindfolded, or being
instructed to never utter their own names outloud in such sessions.

?