[Mailman-Users] Soooooo sloooooow

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed Aug 4 17:05:02 CEST 2004

At 10:30 PM -0500 2004-08-03, John Price wrote:

>  I'm running Mailman 2.1.4 on a 1GHz machine with 1.5G RAM.

	CPU speed has relatively little to do with performance issues on
things related to Internet mail and mailing lists.  If you're short
of RAM, that can be a real problem, but 1.5GB is probably enough to
avoid the worst of the sorts of problems typically caused by memory
shortages.

>  I have a list that has about 60K members, and all
>  interaction with mailman is very slow when there is no
>  load on the machine, and SUPER slow when there is load.

	I recommend going to the Mailman FAQ Wizard at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py>, search for "performance",
and read the various entries which are returned.  You may want to pay
special attention to the entries at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.041.htp>,
and consider the performance advantages of upgrading to version 2.1.5.

>  Does the program read in the entire mailing list everytime
>  it output a web page?

	It loads the Python pickles, yes.

>  Even with 60K users, why does it take so long?

	It's hard to say.  There's a wide variety of reasons why this
could be happening, but most of the known issues are detailed in the
FAQ and can be found by searching for the word "performance".

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755