[Mailman-Users] Soooooo sloooooow

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed Aug 4 21:35:59 CEST 2004

At 12:42 PM -0500 2004-08-04, John Price wrote:

>>  	I recommend going to the Mailman FAQ Wizard at
>>  <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py>, search for "performance",
>>  and read the various entries which are returned.  You may want to pay
>>  special attention to the entries at
>>  <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.041.htp>,
>>  and consider the performance advantages of upgrading to version 2.1.5.
>
>  Most of the FAQs are related to mail deliverly.  This list
>  only sends one email a day, so that's not an issue.  Also,
>  all archiving is turned off, so that's not an issue either.

	This is why I pointed out a specific entry which had to do with
other things, and mentioned the issue of considering upgrading to
2.1.5, since it is known to resolve certain specific performance
problems.

>>  	It loads the Python pickles, yes.
>
>  Ah, the pickles...  I'm sure this is the problem.
>
>  I'm no Python guru, but isn't there a way to keep from
>  reading in the entire jar (of pickles) unless you actually
>  need to? Maybe I need to ask the developers list instead
>  of this one...

	I don't think there's any way to keep Mailman from doing this, at
least not in any current version.  Patches are welcome.

	In the meanwhile, if you're having problems of this type, you may
need to resort to the command-line oriented methods which are
discussed more extensively in the archives.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755