[Mailman-Users] Cgi form/email for unsubscribing

PeteBell pbgfx at mac.com
Thu Aug 12 08:40:43 CEST 2004

First let me say that I know nothing about python, cgi scripts, or any
sort of code (as will probably become clear!)

It seems to me that when a person subscribes to my list using the
"subscribe" form, the file in Mailman which comes into play is
"/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py" - Yes?...

And I know it is possible to send an "unsubscribe" email to (for
instance) "testlist-unsubscribe at somedomain.com" in order to unsubscribe
and it has to take the form of "authentication= (password)" and then
the unsubscribe request  (please say if I'm wrong, as I can't remember
where I read this - I know you can do it with a "delivery off" email)!

So. Is it possible therefore to use the "subscribe.py" as a model to
produce an "unsubscribe.py" script which can be called by a form in the
same way, thus speeding up the unsubscribe process, which at the moment
is done by a form taking you to a password authentication page and then
to the options page, etc?

Sorry if I'm showing my utter ignorance to all you learned types on
here! ;-)

If this IS possible, then is it possible to do this sort of thing for
"delivery off", "delivery on" etc, etc, etc?

(And then all I need to do, is find someone who knows how to write cgi
scripts!)

Cheers
Pete, UK