[Mailman-Users] BIG discard problem

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Aug 12 09:37:15 CEST 2004

    Robert> Stuff I looked at:
    Robert> - 2004 mailman list messages.
    Robert> - google for "discard mailman script"
    Robert> - mailman faq (search for discard)
    Robert> - docs on www.list.org
    Robert> - bin/discard.py seems to require some sort of a file as input,
    Robert>     but there are no docs for it on http://www.list.org/site.html,
    Robert>     where other command line programs seem to be documented.
    Robert>     If it's like Skip's mmdiscard.py, http://manatee.mojam.com/~skip/python/
    Robert>     then it needs a file created by looking at the web interface.
    Robert> - David Wolfskill's dispose.py seems to require a file input like discard.
    Robert> - bulk-vette requires an include file called mailman,
    Robert>   which doesn't seem to exist in my version (suggestions??)

Didn't you find the standard solution?  To wit:

    As user mailman (I think actually you just need write permissions
    in the relevant places, so group mailman Works For Me YMMV) execute:

    python -i bin/withlist listname

    Then type:

    >>> m.Lock()
    >>> from Mailman import mm_cfg
    >>> h = m.GetHeldMessageIds()
    >>> for i in h: m.HandleRequest(i,mm_cfg.DISCARD)
    ... <return>
    >>> m.Save()
    >>> <ctrl-d>

The triple punctuation are Python prompts; you don't type those, you
wait for them to appear and then type.  All the punctuation (including
empty parens) must be typed as shown, capitalization must be exactly
as shown.  The stuff in <angle brackets> are names of single keys
(Enter and Control + d), not to be typed literally.

On a Red Hat Linux system you probably will need to use python2,
python2.2 or python2.3 instead of just python, because python
corresponds to the Golden Oldie 1.5.2 version.

Caveat: I haven't actually used this since we installed 2.1.5 (the
previous version was 2.0.13), but a test (on a list with no held
messages---it's the admin's playpen list, I'm not going to do this on
a live list unless I know it's all spam) showed no syntax errors or
anything like that, should still work.