[Mailman-Users] BIG discard problem

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Aug 12 10:40:30 CEST 2004

At 9:44 PM -0400 2004-08-11, David Relson wrote:

>  No!  Recursive grep commands include a directory specification, hence
>  don't need to be executed from a specific subdirectory.  My "egrep -r
>  ... /usr/lib/mailman" command searches mailman's source tree.

	I have no idea what OS you're using and where the "source" code
is placed relative to the data files, etc... on your system, but on
Mailman default installations, /usr/local/mailman is the home
directory for *everything* related to Mailman, including
source/executable code, log files, data files, queue directories,
etc....

	If you run a recursive grep of the sort you recommend on the
entire /usr/local/mailman directory hierarchy, you are likely to run
into the 20,000 file problem previously mentioned.

	If you want to limit yourself to just the source code, you need
to search /usr/local/mailman/Mailman, /usr/local/mailman/bin, etc...
and make sure you don't include any of those log directories, queue
directories, etc....

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755