[Mailman-Users] Re add members w/o confirming & a good MUA

David Blomquist dbl at tentra.com
Fri Aug 20 01:41:10 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 18:25, marci and rex wrote:
> >  RE: adding members without having  them confirm?
> >David said:
> You can also subscribe members in the List Administration web interface
> under Membership Management > Mass Subscription. This is much easier
> for a non-techie.
> a different David ;)
>
>   Hi d D ! ( grin ) ...........Different person with the same problem
> here....We tried that when we originally set up our new mailing list
> thinking we could copy/paste subscriber emails to our old mailing list into
> this field... all it did was send out invitations to subscribe..It didnt
> actually subscribe them...They still have to reply to the  verify email and
> thats where we are having the problem...

You have to set the option on the Mass Subscription page to 'Subscribe'
not 'Invite' before you submit the list.  Your list probably was set up
to 'Invite' by default.

>     I am having trouble with our members either not getting
> the  verification emails or  probably
> having them  dumped into spam filter files... We are dealing with a lot of
> elderly ( 70 +) porcelain artists who are artists and not computer geeks..
> :-) .... and I have several who have resubscribed 4 or 5 times and are just
> not getting the idea of " reply to the verify letter"...and there are also
> some who manage to retrieve the letters or click on the webpage  link in
> the email only to be told that it is an invalid verification code... ( I
> know these expire after 3 days... but these are ones that are  giving the
> errors on the same day they are dated... )

There isn't much you can do about user error except for subscribing
their addresses yourself using the above info.  It does work.

>      Also, if anybody has some recommendations of good MUAs ( boy , I hope
> i used the right term here )  that will display Mailman properly with
> styled text, Im all ears... I personally run Eudora  and it displays
> everything... but some of our listers are getting either scrubbed messages
> or every message as an attachment. I would love to be able to take
> advantage of colored  text  so if anyone has any suggestions I can pass
> along, Im all ears...

If you are having MUA issues, it is best to just send out plain text...
it is the only failsafe method.

>   Thanks , everybody
>   marci
> PPIO.com