[Mailman-Users] sending mail to members in batches

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Dec 3 03:25:07 CET 2004

    G> I would think that throttling is an MTA issue (in this case
    G> Exim). Given that the MTA will control the rate of ALL messages
    G> from the system, not just those that are generated by Mailman.

I agree with your analysis, but that may or may not be the desired
effect here.  In particular, it may be desirable to throttle Mailman
specifically to something lower than the system-wide limit.  The MTA
may or may not be able to limit specific usages (how would it know?)
or users (in this case, Mailman usually has a unique uid, so that
would work).

BTW, I've been around for some time, am moderately familiar with a
selection of relevant RFCs and other standards, and have bits and
pieces of experience with mail systems in particular, but you
shouldn't take my pronunciamentos too seriously.  I'm just too lazy
(arrogant?) to word them cautiously.  Also, see sections 11 and 12 of
the GNU General Public License.  :-)