[Mailman-Users] Malformed Email Address & Failed Removal

iain iain.smy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 15:34:50 CET 2004

Hi all:

I am running MM 2.1.3 and have a small list of about 250 users. I wish
to remove all of those users and replace the list with a newer
subscriber list.

The removal is easy just do:

/usr/local/mailman/bin/remove_members -a  LISTNAME

The problem is that there is 1 address in there that is malformed and
I get the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/remove_members", line 186, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/remove_members", line 176, in main
    admin_notif, userack)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 946, in
ApprovedDeleteMember
    self.removeMember(emailaddr)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line 220,
in removeMember
    self.__assertIsMember(member)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line 113,
in __assertIsMember
    raise Errors.NotAMemberError, member
Mailman.Errors.NotAMemberError: jillten at cate

The actual offending email address is:  jillten at cate@somedomain.com

How can I remove this address?

I have tried from the command line and from the admin screens without success.

I have found a reference to a malformed address in an earlier post but
it says to 'export' the user list and then re-import without the
offending address. How does one 'export' the list of subscribers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.