[Mailman-Users] Odd Reply-To behavior

Michael Owings mikey at swampgas.com
Thu Dec 16 15:56:12 CET 2004

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Michael Owings wrote:
>
>>Sorry -- my paragraph was unclear. It is not just one list that has this
>>problem, but any list I create.
>>
>>Your answer was helpful, however -- if I set this option to yes, then my
>>email address is not added to the header, and everything works as expected.
>>
>>The odd thing was that even when the source email was from a completely
>>different account (say a yahoo account), my  local email address was
>>always added when the message was resent to the list recipients.
>>
>>Anyway, thanx -- setting first_strip_reply_to to YES seemed to fix things.
>

> Stripping the Reply-To: fixes the immediate problem you were having,
> but it doesn't fix the underlying problem, and it is a bad idea in
> general.
>
> It is a bad idea in general because a user may send a post with a
> that user to receive a reply. For more on this, see for example
>
> The underlying problem in your case appears to be that somehow in the
> processing that delivers mail from your incoming MTA to Mailman, a
> to figure out where and why this is happening and fix it there.

Well, it's official -- I'm an idiot. As it turns out, the second account
I was using had the email address in question configured as the
(and that this behavior can be changed via first_strip_reply).

Nevermind... and thanx for the help. I'm sure I'll have another stupid
question soon.

Cheers -- m

http://www.swampgas.com/robotics/rover.html