[Mailman-Users] strange SMTP error when using Courier with Mailman

Igor Gueths igueths at lava-net.com
Sun Dec 19 17:02:27 CET 2004

Hello all. I am attempting to use Mailman-2.1.5 with Courier-0.46 and I
haven't had much luck as of yet in terms of getting it going. Right now
I have the mailman (site list), and a list called Igors_list which I am
currently working with. The aliases I currently have defined are as
follows: igors_list:             |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post
igors_list
igors_list-admin:       |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin
igors_list
igors_list-bounces:     |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
igors_list
igors_list-confirm:     |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm
igors_list
igors_list-join:        |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join igors_list
igors_list-leave:       |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave
igors_list
igors_list-owner:       |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner
igors_list
igors_list-request:     |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request
igors_list
igors_list-subscribe:    |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe
igors_list
igors_list-unsubscribe: |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe
igors_list

Note that in the aliases file everyone is on its individual line,, it
just got wrapped because of the text editor I'm using for this message.
I tried sending a test message to igors_list at lava-net.com (after
subscribing myself through the admin interface). In my maillog file, I
got the following: Dec 19 10:42:09 shadwiga courierd:
newmsg,id=001A8123.41C5A151.000072AE: dns; localhost (localhost
[127.0.0.1])
Dec 19 10:42:09 shadwiga courierd:
started,id=001A8123.41C5A151.000072AE,from=<igueths at lava-net.com>,module=local,host=alias!.xalias/igors_list at lava+2dnet+2ecom!1018!102!/usr/lib/courier/etc/aliasdir!!,addr=<alias>
Dec 19 10:42:09 shadwiga courierd: Waiting.  shutdown time=none, wakeup
time=none, queuedelivering=2, inprogress=2
Dec 19 10:42:09 shadwiga courierlocal:
id=001A8123.41C5A151.000072AE,from=<igueths at lava-net.com>,addr=<".xalias/igors_list at lava+2dnet+2ecom"@lava-net.com>,size=561,success:
Message delivered.
Dec 19 10:42:09 shadwiga courierd:
completed,id=001A8123.41C5A151.000072AE

However, in /usr/local/mailman/logs/smtp-failure I get this: Dec 19
10:42:11 2004 (29012) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service not
known'), msgid: <mailman.7.1103470930.29014.igors_list at lava-net.com>
Dec 19 10:42:11 2004 (29012) delivery to igueths at lava-net.com failed
with code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')
Dec 19 10:42:11 2004 (29012) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service
not known'), msgid: <mailman.8.1103470930.29014.igors_list at lava-net.com>
Dec 19 10:42:11 2004 (29012) delivery to igors_list-owner at lava-net.com
failed with code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')

I've been googling variants of this error message. One sollution I found
was to make sure there was an entry for localhost in /etc/hosts, and I
already have that. Another one was to set
SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION to a value greater than 0. I tried that
and I still got the same message in the smtp-failure log. Should I
perhaps try setting MTA to something like Sendmail, since Courier is
able to somewhat emulate it? Currently I have it set to Manual. I also
have DELIVERY_MODULE set to SMTPDirect. Is there any way I can turn up
Mailman's logging so that I might be able to figure out what it doesn't
like? Thanks!

- --
"The answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42." -- Douglas Adams