[Mailman-Users] Weird subscriptions

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Tue Dec 21 22:02:28 CET 2004

Lately I've received a number of subscriptions with something such as:

Plausiblename at logicaladdress.net  to: wava at cleartalk.com From:
wava at cleartalk.com BCC: mfweiss at aol.com X-GUID:
24115997-bb5e-4683-aac1-2b1d8a6dc876 Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary=abbbbmh --abbbbmh --abbbbmh-- .

All the copy above was in the simple "address" box.

I approved one and it screwed up looking at the list of subscribers.  I've
pinged the apparent subscribers, in this case
Plausiblename at logicaladdress.net and all are bounces.

Any experience in what causes this?  Or how to stop it if these are spoof
messages?

Dick Hill
_____
Richard B. Hill
Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
Fax: (301) 495-0810
Voice: (301) 495-0900