[Mailman-Users] Single user's mail delayed ONLY to list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Dec 22 01:59:28 CET 2004

blindman jones wrote:

>I am using a mail list through a service provider, so I need some help
>with what questions to ask...
>
>I have a list, 10 users... 9 users send mail to list and their mail is
>sent out in minutes and all 10  users get the mail from the list... no
>problem. The 10th user sends a mail to the list and it is not sent
>back out to the list for 4-10 hours. Mail sent to anyone else in the
>world by the 10th user gets sent and delivered in minutes.
>
>We have tried unsubscribing and resubscribing his email to the list...
>doesn't help.
>
>I have looked through every possible option in the admin interface and
>we are stumped.
>
>Why would ONLY one users mail be delayed when sending to the list?

I assume the obvious thing like "he's moderated" has been ruled out.

>What questions do I ask my service provider to get the information
>needed to figure this out?

First you need to look at the chain of Received: headers in one or more
of his posts as received from the list and figure out where the delay
is occurring. Since the delay is only with his posts to the list, it
probably occurs somewhere between the poster and the Mailman host, but
the received headers will say for sure.

Once you know where the delay is, you have a better idea who to
contact. The same Received: headers are what you need to report to the
admin(s) of the involved server(s).

>I know this is not a lot of info to get an immediate answer... but I
>need to figure this out... it is quite annoying and has left our
>friend frustrated.
>
>oh, and he and i have a second list on the same server and he sends
>one mail to the first list and then another to the second... the
>second list gets his post in minutes the first, again... is delayed
>for hours.

Well, now it's beginning to look like you haven't ruled out moderation.
Is there a X-Mailman-Approved-At: header in his posts?