[Mailman-Users] More on Sendmail

Kevin McCann kmccann at bellanet.org
Tue Feb 3 13:53:51 CET 2004

>For my Mailman server, I wrote a script to extract the mailman alias
>entries and merge them with my master aliases file.  I run this from
>cron every 10 minutes.  Usually, by the time the list owner gets done
>fiddling with the config for his new list, the alias file entries have
>already been generated.

I did things a bit different. I configured sendmail to use two alias
files: etc/aliases and /etc/mm_aliases (the latter being for  Mailman
aliases only). No merging necessary. My script appends to mm_aliases and
executes newaliases thereafter. If you wish, you can configure
sendmail's alias file option in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc. The line is here:

define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases,/etc/mm_aliases')dnl

- Kevin