[Mailman-Users] More on Sendmail

James Ralston qralston+ml.mailman-users at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 3 12:37:01 CET 2004

On 2004-01-18 at 20:52:50-0800 "T. Glen Haggard" <glen at kk7ih.net> wrote:

> Sorry for the multiple post on this.  In researching more it seems
> that Mailman must create an alias in the /etc/aliases file.

The alias entries for the new list must be added to the aliases file.
Mailman doesn't do this.

> If this is so does it run the new aliases program?

Mailman doesn't.

> There are entries in this file from Mailman but nothing about the
> new lists that I created.  This must be why they do not work.

Correct.

> So what is the fix?  How do I make Mailman write to the aliases file
> and run new aliases, if this is needed?  Is there something in
> Mailman that I missed?

You need to either add the necessary alias entries to the aliases file
manually (each time you create or delete a list), or you need to
script something together to do it for you.

(Or you can run Postfix instead of sendmail, but I have no interest in
doing that.)

For my Mailman server, I wrote a script to extract the mailman alias
entries and merge them with my master aliases file.  I run this from
cron every 10 minutes.  Usually, by the time the list owner gets done
fiddling with the config for his new list, the alias file entries have
already been generated.

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute