[Mailman-Users] Can't remove illegal members on a list

Paul F. Williams paul.williams at uwex.edu
Tue Jan 6 18:08:26 CET 2004

I am using mailman-2.1.1-4 on a Redhat 9 Linux system.

One of my mailman users managed to add a number of addresses
that are illegal.  You can see their contents using od.

$ od -a x
0000000   a   b   .   t   h   i   s   i   s   a   b   e   m   a   @    a   t
0000020   c   p   .   x   t   a   x   e   .   w   i   .   u   s  sp  sp
0000040  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  nl

When attemping to list the addresses with

    bin/list_members problem_list

it fails with

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "bin/list_members", line 232, in ?
     main()
   File "bin/list_members", line 207, in main
     s = formataddr((name, addr)).encode(enc, 'replace')
UnicodeError: ASCII decoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

The address appears if you go into the admin page and then select
the Membership management.

I tried to delete the address in all the obvious ways several ways, but all
failed.
Using mass deletion from the admin page, it appears to work but it doesn't get
deleted.

using

   bin/remove_members

also doesn't work since it returns

   No such member:

(this was by trying various combinations with extra spaces, nl etc)

Finally I tried the faq 3.13 which uses python

    python -i bin/withlist -l problem_list
 >>> m.removeMember('na,bad at address')

 >>> m.removeMember('na,bad at daddress     ')

 >>> m.removeMember('na,"bad at address     "')

but get the following errors

The variable `m' is the problem_list MailList instance
 >>> m.removeMember('na,"bad at address        "')
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<console>", line 1, in ?
   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line 217, in
removeMember
     self.__assertIsMember(member)
   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line 113, in
__assertIsMember
     raise Errors.NotAMemberError, member
NotAMemberError: na,"bad at address

  I welcome any assistance.