[Mailman-Users] admin request notifications

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Jan 18 04:46:48 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 15:28, Bart Decrem wrote:
> The Mozilla Foundation operates 74 Mailman lists with hundreds
> (thousands?) of messages per day.  We are running 2.0.13.
>
> Our problem is with admin notification.  We'd like to stop receiving
> admin notifications altogether. Better yet, we'd love to get rid of the
> admin queue and have admin'd messages automatically discarded.  90% of
> these messages are spam, with the remainder being messages by
> non-members and admin requests, that we can handle through the
> auto-responder.
>
> Simply using a bogus email address for the admin address doesn't work,
> since we do want to deal with administrative requests
> (subscribe/unsubscribe/post problems).
>
> Is it possible to tell mailman to stop sending out admin notifications?
> Is it possible to just get rid of the admin queue altogether?
> Will something bad happen if we ignnore the admin queue for a list for,
> say, an entire year?
>
> The only idea we have is to use a bogus admin address, edit the listinfo
> footer to display the real admin address, and edit the /etc/aliases file
> to hardcode the *-owner recipient.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Bart
===
This might help somewhat - it shows you how to setup the request queue
so that it is delted on a daily basis.  If you delete it before 5pm (and
turn off immediate notification in the list) then you'll rarely if ever
get any admin notifications...

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=all#1.12

Jon Carnes