[Mailman-Users] Activity/Usage Analysis

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Jul 15 19:30:54 CEST 2004

At 9:32 AM -0500 2004-07-15, Fabio Giannotti wrote:

>  Has anyone written an add-on that would allow for activity/usage analysis?
>  Particularly, I would like to be able to get reports on:
>
>  1. The number of mail messages in and out of the list for a given time
>  frame.  That is, total number of emails that go through my system because of
>  the list.
>
>  2. The total size in bytes of all of that email traffic
>
>  3. The number of users on a list during a given time frame.  (Something like
>  a time line that would show user count changes during that time frame.)

	There are a variety of log processing programs, depending on your
MTA, etc....  If you use postfix, check out pflogsumm (see
<http://jimsun.linxnet.com/postfix_contrib.html>).  I've got some old
scripts for doing similar things for sendmail syslog data (see
<http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/sendmail/index.html>).  For most
any MTA, you should also check out lire (see logreport.org).

	However, I'm not aware of anyone who has developed such tools
that are specifically oriented towards mailing lists.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755