[Mailman-Users] How can I update 2.1.3 --> 2.1.5?

Ian A B Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Jun 1 19:45:27 CEST 2004

--On Tuesday, June 1, 2004 7:16 pm +0200 Brad Knowles
<brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:

> At 5:44 PM +0100 2004/06/01, Ian A B Eiloart wrote:
>
>>  Now, one message said to check the UPDATES file. I have, but as far as
>>  I can see, it doesn't actually say what to do to update. It does give
>>  some advice about shutting down the MTA and the web site, and some other
>>  tips about what to do *while* upgrading, but doesn't describe the basic
>>  procedure.
>
> 	I'm confused.  The UPGRADING file says:
>
> UPGRADING FROM PREVIOUS VERSIONS
>
>      For the most part, upgrading Mailman is as easy as just installing
> the latest version over the existing version.  However, there are some
> changes that need to be taken care of manually.
>
>   What you need to do depends on the version you are using and the
> version you are upgrading to. In all cases, you should first turn off your
> mail  and web access to your Mailman installation.  You're essentially
> upgrading  a database, and it's usually a good idea to make sure the
database
> cannot be modified in the middle of the upgrade.
>

> 	What about this is not clear?  You turn off the MTA and the web server,
> and then you follow the instructions for installing the software.  That's
> about it.

Ah, I see, so I upgrade by reinstalling. But that isn't clear from the
documentation, because "as easy as" doesn't mean "is achieved by". So
there's me thinking, "OK, so its easy, but how do I do it?".

There are also some other sources of confusion:

1. The file says "BE SURE TO TURN OFF MAILMAN AS DESCRIBED ABOVE
    BEFORE YOU UPGRADE." - but that isn't described above. The closest I
could see was a recommendation to switch off my MTA. I want to avoid that
if the process is going to take more than a minute, so I'm hoping I can
just switch off mailmanctl, but I'm using EXIM, and I think it will
continue to queue messages...with the wrong queue format?

the exim config calls "/local/mailman/mail/mailman post" with each message
addressed to a mailman list. Do I need to stop this happening during the
upgrade? If so, then I need to take down the mailer (or make it temporarily
reject or hold onto the messages while I do the upgrade).

2. The file refers to
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2000-September/006826.html>.
AFAICT that message is the wrong one. It doesn't relate to upgrading, and
isn't from the person referenced, and its four years old.

3. Then, as you mention later, there is an incorrect reference to
bin/upgrade

> Hopefully, you will have kept all your changes in the mm_cfg.py file and
> not in the Defaults.py file, so that they will be carried over after the
> upgrade.

Yes, I have.

--
Ian Eiloart