[Mailman-Users] How can I update 2.1.3 --> 2.1.5?

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Jun 1 19:29:21 CEST 2004

At 7:16 PM +0200 2004/06/01, Brad Knowles wrote:

>  	What about this is not clear?  You turn off the MTA and the web server,
>  and then you follow the instructions for installing the software.
>  That's about it.

	Further clarification -- a bit further down that same file, it says:

UPGRADING FROM 2.1.4 to 2.1.5

     In Mailman 2.1.5, some significant changes have been made to the file
     formats for qfiles and the pendings database.  All care has been taken to
     make sure the upgrades happen automatically and smoothly, but you should
     double check and, for the ultra-paranoid, make backups of your Mailman
     site before you upgrade.  BE SURE TO TURN OFF MAILMAN AS DESCRIBED ABOVE
     BEFORE YOU UPGRADE.

     Specifically, in MM2.1.4 every message in the queues were represented by
     two files, a .msg or .pck file containing the email message, and a .db
     file containing metadata about the message.  In MM2.1.5 this has been made
     more efficient by using only one file (with a .pck extension) for both the
     message and metadata.  This should make MM2.1.5 half as hostile to the
     file system.

     The bin/upgrade script, which is run automatically when you upgrade,
     should convert all the old style qfiles to the new style qfiles.  Note
     that this could take a long time if you have a lot of files in your qfiles
     subdirectories.  Pay particular attention to files you might have in
     qfiles/shunt; these will get upgraded too, although files in qfiles/bad
     will not.

	Actually, bin/upgrade doesn't exist.  But bin/update does.  And
doing a "make install" will also run bin/update as well.  So,
following the directions, "./configure; make install" should be what
you need to do.

	Of course, you'll need to watch the options you pass to
"configure", and replicate the ones you had previously used.