[Mailman-Users] mailman and exim4

Bob fish at livingsky.net
Sun Jun 13 06:32:21 CEST 2004

Sebastian Schulz wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> I had a simular problem with the strange Debian Configuration.

Yeah, it seems that a lot of people have had this problem.

> You should store these settings in
> /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/01_exim4-config_listmacrosdefs.

I actually created a new file called
/etc...../main/04_exim4-config_mailman with these settings.

> Some things about  Debian/Exim4 one should know:
>
> Debian splits the config files into the stuff in /etc/exim4/conf.d. If
> you run debconf, the settings are stored in
> /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf.
> When you run 'update-exim4.conf' these settings are stored in
> '/var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated', which is read when exim4
> starts. Maybe debconf write these file too, I don't know.
> Important: The files in /etc/exim4/conf.d/dirs/ are included in
> alphabetical order (therefore the strange filenames 01_...). That's
> important because some of the Mailman configuration settings require a
> correct order (ACL settings,Router settings).
>
> If there is an existent '/etc/exim4/exim4.conf' , this file is read
> instead of '/var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated'.
>
> I personally prefer the one-file-setup. If you run "update-exim4.conf
> - o /etc/exim4/exim4.conf", the splitted configuration (plus the
> debconf settings) is united into a single file. See 'man
> update-exim4.conf' for more details. I don't think it is very
> comfortably to create ACLs or Routers over several files, because it
> complicates understanding what they actually do.  For more details:
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_3.html#CHAP3
>
> Back to the configuration: After you've defined the makros, you need
> to add an router like

mailman_router:

>  driver = accept
>  require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
>  local_part_suffix_optional
>  local_part_suffix = -bounces : -bounces+* : \
>                      -confirm+* : -join : -leave : \
>                      -owner : -request : -admin
>  transport = mailman_transport
>
> into the router (remember that the order of routers matter!) section
> and a transport (order doesn't matter in the transport section) like

for the above, I created 750_exim4-config_mailman

> mailman_transport:
>  driver = pipe
>  command = MAILMAN_WRAP \
>              '${if def:local_part_suffix \
>                    {${sg{$local_part_suffix}{-(\\w+)(\\+.*)?}{\$1}}} \
>                    {post}}' \
>              $local_part
>   current_directory = MAILMAN_HOME
>   home_directory = MAILMAN_HOME
>   user = MAILMAN_UID
>   group = MAILMAN_GID

and for the above I created 40_exim4-config_mailman

> . If you use the transport above, you 'don't need to change your
> '/etc/alias' (using this file is depreciated for you have to change
> either the exim4 user or the Mailman user). The router checks for the
> local parts of an email adress (so no alias file is needed) in the
> Mailman/lists/ directory:
>
> require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
>
> If the list exist, the mailman_transport is activated for delivering
> the emails.
> This setup works fine on my Debian/Sarge system.

This is what the instructions said, but exim doesn't recognize the new
lists automatically. I had to create an alias set for the new list in
/etc/aliases and run newaliases before the new list was recognized. I am
not sure why, all the syntax' are correct, mailman is creating the
lists, exim is doing the mail, but it is not recognizing without the
alias file. No clues in the log files either, that I could see.

> Some hints for apache2 on Debian/Sarge:
> mod_cgi is not enabled by default!!!!
> You have to create a  symlink:
> /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/cgi.load ->
> /etc/apache2/mods-available/cgi.load
> I wondered myself some useless hours, why the admin interface didn't
> work :-(

My admin interface works fine without having done this. Hmmmm.

> I hope it helped
> seb

Thank you for responding, it did help. Any clues, though, on why exim
won't recognize the new lists automatically?

--
Bob Lydiate
fish at livingsky.net
Please visit my site at