[Mailman-Users] qrunner: Low level smtp error

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Jun 25 16:55:25 CEST 2004

At 9:12 AM -0500 2004-06-25, Doug Hughes wrote:

>  initial mail queues to the daemon ok and then goes into the qfiles
>  directory, but then mailman qrunner processes it and I get this:
>
>  Jun 23 17:08:05 2004 (19334) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service
>  not known'), msgid:
>  <mailman.0.1088024883.19332.kerry-tech at potomacalliance.us>
>  Jun 23 17:08:05 2004 (19334) delivery to root at potomacalliance.us failed
>  with code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')
>
>  I've tried postfix and I've tried sendmail. Both give me the same
>  message. Has anybody seen this before?

	They don't have any advertised mail servers.  When you ask their
nameservers for MX records, you get this:

% dig potomacalliance.us. mx

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> potomacalliance.us. mx
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;potomacalliance.us.            IN      MX

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
potomacalliance.us.     10631   IN      SOA     potomacalliance.us.
doug.eng.auburn.edu. 1 7200 600 259200 14400

;; Query time: 28 msec
;; SERVER: 10.0.1.240#53(10.0.1.240)
;; WHEN: Fri Jun 25 16:53:26 2004
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 91

	Repeat this process, asking their advertised nameservers
directly, and you get the same answer.  See also
<http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=potomacalliance.us>.

	Note that eng.auburn.edu is one of the advertised nameservers for
this zone.  You might want to see if you can get this problem fixed.